Sunday 4 December 2011

Wigan 0-4 Arsenal: Simples + My January thoughts

It's not always this easy down in the shabby city of Wigan. Ok maybe shabby is an understatement. In the last two seasons we've let two goal leads slip here, drawing 2-2 and losing 3-2. This is a game that any team who wants to be at the top end of the table has to be winning and the performance yesterday was first class.
For me, one of the best things about yesterday was the manner in which two of the goals were scored, from long range, and from a corner. When was the last time Arsenal scored from a corner? I think the long range effort shows how Arsenes loosened his policies in the last season. In the same position last season I would imagine Arteta would have been encouraged to look for a pass. He had acres of space, he had to shoot, he scored.
It was a top performance, and next week we welcome Everton to the grove. Never an easy game, last season we needed a Squillaci header to give us a 1-0 win, hopefully we don't need that again but it's important that we keep momentum going, with a game like Man City away coming up. The Olympiacos game shall be a second team I imagine, which will give us another great chance to see some of the youngsters + giving Chamakh and Park another chance to score.
Arsenes been questioned recently on his plans for January and he fumbled out the usual lines:

'At the moment, I will do nothing in January. I have a big squad, but if you knock at my door and say "I have a fantastic player for you", I will not turn it down. If we have no injuries, we should get away with it. We still have offensive players, but we could be a bit short if we have an injury.'

I honestly still believe we might strengthen. I go back once again to January 2009, we are trailing Aston Villa by 3 points. We spend 15 million on Arshavin, our record transfer and finish 11 points clear of 5th place. If we are still 5th in Christmas, I think it could happen.
However, one of the names mentioned, who everyone seems to be very keen on, is Lukas Podolski, (according to Wikipedia) he has scored 26 goals in 72 appearances since 2009. It is also very true that he's not always up for the big game and, much like Chamakh can go missing. I'm not saying he would be a bad signing, but the price mooted (roughly 20 million) sounds ridiculous to me. Is it really wise to spend 20 million (he would become our record transfer) on a back-up player to Van Persie? I don't think so but I'm very happy to be proved wrong if it does happen. There is also talk of Mario Gotze, to be honest, I think we can only dream. I imagine he'l go somewhere like Real Madrid. He may of said he liked Arsenal and Barcelona or something, but at this stage, that means nothing at all. He would almost certainly nearly double our record transfer, but in my eyes it would be worth it. He is one of the most exciting young players on the planet at the moment and we need someone new to bugger off to Man Shitty for 50 million in a few years time.

Thanks for reading
Lick my Arse

Gimme a follow on twitter @arse_licker

No comments:

Post a Comment